On 3 December 2010 16:36, Pommier, Rex R. <rex.pomm...@cnasurety.com> wrote:

> One phase of the 3-phase power was out.  Think 3380 disks that (according to
> rumors propagated by my CE at the time) have to be wired correctly so they
> don't spin backwards.

I can say from personal experience that the motor in a 3211 printer
will run backwards if any two of the three non-neutral wires are
interchanged. CEs are trained and equipped to do a phase test on all
new installations, but of course they are not trained to expect that a
previous CE may have rewired the printer's plug instead of correcting
the outlet in the machine room the printer was moved from.

Shall I just add that the 3211 print train does not take kindly to
being driven backwards, and makes its objections known by flinging
small parts all over the place.

Tony H.