In <4cfa646c.6060...@acm.org>, on 12/04/2010
   at 09:55 AM, "Joel C. Ewing" <jcew...@acm.org> said:

>Because of the complexity of the docbook approach, there has been
>pressure in recent years to go to a more update-friendly wysiwyg
>solution,

In my experience, WYSIWYG[1] is not update friendly.

>My own preference is OpenOffice.

It's not as user hostile as m$ word, but I'd still prefer, e.g.,
BookMaster.

>it seems like MS Word more often tries to do too much

It's not that it tries to do too much, it's that the attempts are
inept and don't allow the user to easily override the standard
behavior.

>and makes erroneous assumptions about my formatting intentions.

With no way to tell it "Do what I say and *only* what I say."

>but to not violate my requirement for availability of MVS
>documentation,

Run your web server on MVS.

>There would also have to be some support to take a collection of
>separate related articles and assemble them into a hard copy manual,

That might be harder.

[1] What You See Is All You Get. No hint as to what will happen if
    you change anything. I'll take a proper markup language, TYVM.