Maybe not the clearest Subject:, sorry. But I'm wondering if anybody ftp
downloads SYSOUT data which contains non-printable characters and so
would be "ruined" if a normal EBCDIC->ASCII translation is done?

I'm looking at the possibility of maybe considering try to see (<grin>
if I can write a UNIX based SAPI application which can copy SYSOUT from
a job on the JES SPOOL to "stdout". Now, for doing this within z/OS
itself, it is no problem. Just copy the data. Oh, but wait, if the data
can contain binary (non printable) data, should there be a BINARY
option? Hum, if so, what about "line endings"? Perhaps I need three
a prefix of 0x00LLLLLL (four byte length field with first byte forced to
be 0x00).

Now, a problem arises. I also want to use ssh from a Linux desktop to
z/OS to copy this data from the SPOOL to Linux similar to Dovetailed
Technologies' "fromdsn" command. Which means that if anything other than
TEXT is allowed, I must write a ssh subsystem to do a binary transport
of the data from z/OS to Linux because the normal z/OS ssh interface
does an automatic translation between EBCDIC and ASCII. The plus of
using a subsystem would also be total control of the translate table for
non-US languages, again like fromdsn. The minus is the need to actually
write and debug the code. And to write a Linux (and perhaps other OS
flavored version) command to talk to z/OS via this subsystem.

I had considered two possible commands: "jesls" which basically does an
"ls" type operation, but accesses the SPOOL. And a "jesout" which would
copy one or more SPOOL entries for a job to "stdout".

I have not yet really done any design. I plan to crib ideas from
Dovetailed Technologies documentation of their "fromdsn" command as well
as their enhanced sftp server. Is that valid? I'm actually sortof
"stealing" their design ideas. I do feel some moral qualms about that.
But I don't know if a UI of something that basic is really
copyright-able. I guess I should ask them for permission. But what if
they say "No"?

--
John McKown
Maranatha! <><