On 12/15/2010 12:22 PM, Lorne Dudley wrote:
I'm having problems getting the following batch program to run correctly. It's
running from an authorized library and abends with 0C4, reason code 4.

The book says "the key of the storage area that the running program tries to
access is different from that of the running program".

Data Areas for CVT says
Storage Attributes: Subpool: Nucleus
Key: 0
Residency: Below 16M line

Any ideas appreciated.

The code is below, linked into an authorized library with
SETCODE AC(1).

Regards

Lorne Dudley
Queen's University
Kingston, Ontario

TITLE 'CVTUSER TEST'
CVT DSECT=YES,LIST=YES .CVT DSECT
Y CSECT ,
*
* REGISTER EQUATES
*
R0    EQU   0 .
R1    EQU   1 .
R2    EQU   2 .CVT ADDRESS
R3    EQU   3 .CVTUSER ADDRESS
R4    EQU   4 .
R9    EQU   9 .BASE ADDRESS OF THIS EXIT
R10   EQU   10 .
R15   EQU   15 .
*
      SAVE (14,12),,X_V1.0_&SYSDATE   SAVE & ID
      LR    R9,R15 .SET UP ADDRESSABILITY
      USING Y,R9 .SET UP ADDRESSABILITY
      USING CVT,R2 .CVT DSECT
*
      MODESET KEY=ZERO,MODE=SUP
*
      L     R2,CVTPTR  LOAD UP CVT ADDRESS
      L     R3,CVTUSER LOAD CVTUSER ADDRESS
* move 4 characters to CVTUSER
      MVC   R3(4),=C'TEST'

YIKES! the above says "move to a displacement of 3
for a length of 4 to absolute location 0, the
string "TEST". That is: move absolute locations 3-6
the string "TEST".

You cannot use R3 to indicate a dynamic displacement.

      RETURN (14,12),RC=0 .RETURN TO CALLER
      LTORG
PATCH DC     2D'0' .16 BYTE PATCH AREA
      END

--

Kind regards,

-Steve Comstock
The Trainer's Friend, Inc.

303-393-8716
http://www.trainersfriend.com

* To get a good Return on your Investment, first make an investment!
  + Training your people is an excellent investment

* Try our new tool for calculating your Return On Investment
    for training dollars at
  http://www.trainersfriend.com/ROI/roi.html