I received an email today which at first seemed really simple to say yes/no
to, but it started me to thinking.  I was asked if it's possible to
dynamically add a step to the end of a job via some system exit.  At first I
thought to tell them to use JES exit 4/54, because I've used it to add and
change JCL cards many times, but never to the end of the JOB.  I figured
that there was probably a bit setting on the invocation that designated that
it was the last card.  Then a quick manual check seemed to show that while
you can add and change JCL whenever you want, you have no real way of
knowing when you are at the end of the job in question.

If you have something to key off of, like the submitter was nice enough to
put a /*EOF JECL card, you could probably do it, but the question was to be
able to do this without making any user changes to the JCL.  I thought about
using the submit exit, but she was talking about jobs from any source.  Our
JOB scheduling package (SyzAUTO) can do it for the JOBs we schedule.  But we
control the copying of the JCL to the internal reader, so when we get to the
end, we just pop our "special" step(s) to control the schedule or whatever
else we want to do auto-magically (like sending the EOJ step condition codes
via email, etc.).  That doesn't apply in this case because the exit doesn't
appear to know when the last JCL card is reached.

I would imaging that if it's possible that (if you could figure out that you
were at the last card of the JCL in exit 4/54) you could probably add as
many cards as you wanted, although she only wants to add a single step
execution card.  I'm still stuck on how you figure out that your at the end.

I just can't see that JES tells you that you are on the last card, although
it does tell you when you are on the last line of the JOB card in the other
input exits, it doesn't seem to know that it's at the end of the actual JCL.
 That almost doesn't make sense because I can't believe that JES doesn't
know when it reaches the end, but I can't see it in the manuals.

Does anyone have any ideas?  I thought I might ask before I started to go
through HASPRDR.  Maybe I'm not even in the right area and JES isn't the
spot to do it, but I don't think IEFUJV would work either.

Brian