On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 03:24:11 -0600, Brian Westerman wrote:

>I just can't see that JES tells you that you are on the last card, although
>it does tell you when you are on the last line of the JOB card in the other
>input exits, it doesn't seem to know that it's at the end of the actual JCL.
> That almost doesn't make sense because I can't believe that JES doesn't
>know when it reaches the end, but I can't see it in the manuals.

It's plausible that JES doesn't know until it does one more GET and its
EODAD exit is entered.  At that point, it's too late to enter the user's
input processing exit.

JES would need to do a one-line lookahead merely to detect the end and
set the flag you need; a serious change to a component already badly
work hardened.

>If you have something to key off of, like the submitter was nice enough to
>put a /*EOF JECL card, you could probably do it, ...

The obvious key would be the "//" line if the programmer supplies one.
A lesser change to JES would be to generate such a line if the programmer
omits it, or even unconditonally.  Is the input exit entered for the
"//" line?

Is "//" treated as ordinary data in the range of "DATA,DLM=..."?  Is the
JES input exit invoked for lines in SYSIN data?

-- gil