Paul

> But that's apt to overflow the password field on the login screen.

I happened to see this gripe regarding the 3270 panel which contains the field
provided for the entry of a password.

This will be because the password field allows for only a limited number of
characters, 8 is it?

I always used to complain about another feature of the VM logon panel -
which was copied to the similar NetView panel with similar insensitivity to
security.

The problem may have been fixed now but you or anyone else can give a try
in order to see.

My security problem arose because I was in the habit of keying a userid, then
tabbing and keying in the password. All the time I would be looking at the
keyboard - as poor typists do!

The trouble is that I needed to enter different userids at different times - as
one does if preparing a class which requires different "users". The userid
field
has 8 characters - or did - and my usual userid had less that 8 characters but
sometimes I needed to enter an userid of the full size, 8 characters.

The problem was that the bright sparks who designed the 3270 data stream
which builds the logon panel quite correctly make the password field "non-
display" - not rocket science to come up with that innovation - but then took
it into their tiny heads to give the protected field or fields between the
unprotected fields the "autoskip" attribute.

Those who can see what that means will now have spilt their coffee - unless
they have suffered from the problem.

Chris Mason

On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 13:22:49 -0600, Paul Gilmartin