----------------------------------------------<snip>-------------------------------------

If I use an SVC, is this true?  If the SVC does something or returns some
information that needs to be protected, then I need to use RACF to decide who
can call it or who cannot?  And everyone said not to use a magic SVC, and I get
that.  But if that SVC is also protected by RACF, is it at all a viable
solution?
Any so-called "Magic SVC" is going to be hard to protect via RACF; the necessary code, blocks, etc. might get rather cumbersome. Using established APF mechanisms might be sufficient. But if you use the established mechanisms, you can bypass any magic SVC stuff right from the get-go. And since you and the rest of the Systems staff SHOULD be controlling ALL non-System APF code, you should be able to exercise complete control.

If you are returning information that needs to be protected from other users, keeping it in your own address space should provide pretty good security. How many comman applications use cross-memory services, and how many application programmers even understand what cross-memory services can or cannot do?

It might be helpful if you could detail exactly what you wish to accomplish. ??

Rick