On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 11:11:10 -0600, Paul Gilmartin
<paulgboul...@aim.com> wrote:

>>How about a Public Domain C90 compiler?

The compiler itself is freeware rather than PD.
The C library is PD.  I guess most people won't
know/care about the distinction though.

>> http://gccmvs.sourceforge.net/
>>
>From the discussion on that page, it appears to be mostly
>MVS 3.8 oriented.

Given the effort that goes into making the package
totally 31-bit clean for z/OS, I was surprised by this,
and read the website, and have now updated it to try
to make it clearer that z/OS is the primary target,
and that MVS 3.8 (actually, I use MVS/380 for
31-bit) is (sort of) merely a means to that end.

>o Will it compile the samples in OA31731?

Don't know.  Do the samples conform to ISO/IEC 9899:1990?
If so, yes.  The samples aren't available for anonymous
download.

>o Is it Unix System Services-friendly?

Not the one I produce.  It's MVS, not USS.  There is an
LE/370 target though if you rebuild from source.  I don't
know much about that though - Dave Pitts was the one
who used the LE target.

BFN.  Paul.

P.S. Sorry to hear about your economy drive, but that's
the exact void that GCCMVS is designed to fill (ditto for
CMS or VSE sites that struggle to cost-justify a compiler).