On Tue, 28 Dec 2010 00:16:10 -0600, Paul Gilmartin
<paulgboul...@aim.com> wrote:

>>If I read it correctly, the tar is as-distributed on the DVD, so if that was
>>not
>>built properly to begin with, windoze is the only drop for the "untar".
>
>I read it otherwise.  From the OP:
>
>    On Sun, 26 Dec 2010 17:50:47 -0800, Schwarz, Barry A wrote:
>
>    If anyone has installed SAS 9.2 using a PC to read the DVDs
>    followed by using tar to prepare the "depot" for ftp to the
>    mainframe, ...

>Is the package delivered as a *.zip?  If so, could it be transmitted
>as a BLOb to z/OS and unpacked with the "jar" command?  If not, SAS
>has missed another opportunity.

The internet package is somehow compressed, but the "download manager"
masked it from view.  I would have thought the DVD package would be built
the same way for the sake of the DM.  "But, what do I know, I'm just a
tourist?"  SAS-proprietary as opposed to "tar" OR "zip"?  If not, it could just
as
easily be "tar" as "zip", or even uncompressed, couldn't it?

If only I'd thought to ask and learned sooner that "jar" *unpacked* "zip" files
(and not just processed them for it's own purposes)... D'OH... I tried
creating "tar" or "pax" on Windows to no avail.  Come to think of it, if the OP
has any MVS "zip" software (Ascent, Data/21, etc.), wink and a nudge, eh?

Still, it's a whole lot more harder than it need be...  I agree entirely:
SMP/E
sure would help not only the SD processes, but fix management, too.

Regards,
Art Gutowski
Ford Motor Company