Steve,

I somehow expected this to go better; you would swear devotion to Java
and denounce all-things assembler :-)

Of course, its always easy to make fun of "write-once / run
everywhere".  But the reality is that, in practical terms, you can
write code that runs everywhere, even though it is also possible to
write code that is platform or JDK-level dependent.

We regularly write and reuse Java libraries on multiple platforms
(Windows, Unix, Linux, z/OS) without recompiling.   Take for example
the Apache Tomcat servlet engine... you can run it on z/OS without
recompiling or changing a single line of code.  (and BTW Tomcat is a
pretty large code base, not all of it pretty, that pulls in scores of
other open source libraries).

This is not to say that it is not possible to write code that has
dependencies that would prevent portability.  As an example,  Apache's
J2EE engine "Geronimo" has code that depends on private Sun-internal
JDK classes, which prevents it from running on IBM's JDKs.   Following
your reasoning, this is proof that Java is -not- write-once/run
anywhere.   Do you recognize no value in the fact that the vast
majority of Java applications are portable, both to other platforms
and to later versions of the SDK?

I've written a fair amount of 370 assember in the last 25 years... it
has its place, but I think that most simple comparisons to Java are
meaningless.  I will concede that significant performance issues exist
with Java on z/OS, even with zAPP.

IMO, if you really like MVS (z/OS), you had better hope that lots of
people want to run Java on it in the future.   Am I alone in believing
this? ....I'm interested in other opinions.

Regards,
Kirk Wolf