On Tue, 11 Jan 2011 16:48:04 +0000, Ted MacNEIL <eamacn...@yahoo.ca> wrote:

>>His initial note said they've decided they needed something that has support.
>
>But, as somebody already pointed out, it does have support.
>
>-

While many of the freeware developers support their products (and are even
more responsive than some commercial vendors), there is a difference when
it comes to deploying these tools in a production and / or critical
environment.
Is there 24 x 7 support?  Phone support, or just email?   Do Tom and Lionel
plan their time off and vacations together so that one is always available?
What about when they retire (hey, none of us are getting any younger)?

As much as I like Lionel, Tom and many of the other freeware developers,
I can see why a shop looking for a tool to support a production or
critical business process might not want to look at a freeware tool.
This includes any of my own tools / utilities, which I have never suggested
for any use other than a "sysprog tool".    I realize that this is apples and
oranges since XMITIP is more of a "product" more than a utility, but my
point stands.

Anyway, each shop can make their own choices in these matters, but I'm
sure this is where the OP (or at least the OP's management) was coming
from when the request was made.

Mark
mailto:mzel...@flash.net