On 3 February 2011 13:11, Micheal Butz <michealb...@optonline.net> wrote:
> I am doing this in Rexx exec processing a SVC dump after calling
> BLSUXTOD. To convert the double word to a 26 character string I use the last
> 6 digits

I don't understand what this means, and I'm not at all sure how you
get 26 characters from an 8-byte value. Even if you convert it to a
decimal number, the largest value X'FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF' is 20 decimal
digits. Are you putting in commas or something?

> I understand I can bypass this conversion and just do the
> subtraction as you said on the double word regardless wouldn't the results
> be the same. ???

It rather depends on what this 26-character thing is, I think.

Also keep in mind that all TOD values since May 11, 1971 at about noon
have their high bit on, and so can lead to trouble if you or your
programming language insists on treating the whole thing as a signed
binary integer. Shifting the value(s) right by 12 bits addresses this
potential problem at the same time as it converts to microseconds,
which are usually both accurate enough for most purposes, and easier
to understand and sanity check than are the raw numbers.

Tony H.