From: "Stephen Mednick" <ibmm...@css.au.com>
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Sent: Tuesday, February 8, 2011 7:54:58 PM
Subject: Re: HFS file questions

Not quite correct as far as the use of FDRCOPY goes.

On the COPY statement there is the keyword HFS=QUIESCE which to quote from the
manual:

HFS=

QUIESCE – Invokes special processing when Hierarchical File System (HFS)

data sets are copied. HFS=QUIESCE implies DSNENQ=USE so it will first

attempt to get a SYSDSN enqueue on the file. If the enqueue fails, it probably

means that the file system is mounted to UNIX System Services (USS), so a

“quiesce” call is issued to prevent updates to the data set during the copy. If

the quiesce fails and ENQERR=BYPASS was specified, the HFS data set will

not be copied. See section 80.11 for details and security requirements.

NOTE: HFS=QUIESCE implies DSNENQ=USE (described earlier) for all data sets
being

backed up, not just HFS data sets. HFS=QUIESCE does not apply when moving

HFS data sets; they must be dismounted before the MOVE.

Default: HFS data sets will not be quiesced unless HFSQUIESCE is set to YES in

the FDR Global Options Table (see section 90.13). If you use the default,

you should unmount the file system before the backup to be sure of

getting a usable backup.

Stephen Mednick

Computer Supervisory Services

Sydney, Australia