From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu] On Behalf
Of Chris Mason
Sent: Friday, February 11, 2011 12:00 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: HFS file questions

Dick

> "USS" - meaning Unix System Services, not the VTAM term Unformatted
Session Services  :-))[1]

Well, I thought I knew just about all that really mattered about VTAM but I
was puzzled by "Unformatted Session Services" about which I could not recall

previously having heard.

Checking the manuals - z/OS V1R12 just to make sure they were the latest - I

found - to my relief - that "USS" still meant "Unformatted *System*
Services"
as I remembered it and had not been transformed to "Unformatted *Session*
Services" however plausible a sequence of words that might conceivably be in

the context of VTAM and SNA.

Perhaps there is a consideration that can be taken into account before
sentencing in that there *are* two flavours of USS table, a "*session*-level

USS table" and an "operation-level USS table". I suppose it's easy to get
confused in this complex world of VTAM and so a caution can be handed down.

Incidentally, earlier in the thread Stephen Mednick quoted a manual
where "USS" in this unofficial context was introduced as "UNIX System
Services (USS)" so I guess, because it is part of the same thread, "her"
thread, of course, that Linda Mooney has an albeit tenuous excuse for the
misappropriation!

Chris Mason

[1] I caught this travesty only because I have a digest from Google Groups
every day as a way of making sure I don't miss the one in 10 or 20 or so
threads within which I may have something to say. The reference to USS just
happened to appear in the sample text offered with this digest system.
Otherwise I would have passed all of this by in blissful ignorance of the
malapropism.

The Google Groups digest can also pick up threads from poor deluded
individuals who imagine that they have posted a query or provided an answer
only to be totally ignored because the post appears neither in subscribers'
inboxes nor the archives.