>Perhaps  some form of hybrid acronym like  zUSS
>could serve as being  both highly  compact  and descriptive, while
>avoiding potential confusion with prior art.

Jim,
As much as I do respect you, I can't agree with that suggestion.

z/OS' Health Checker compontent has chosen to name its z/OS UNIX related
keywords beginning with the letters USS. A guess that this component had to
pass naming convention, quality assurance and whatever other boards within
IBM. The keys are still named USS_xyz. This somehow proves to me that the
abbreviation is largely accepted with IBM itself.

I'd really love to understand why on earth people like you are defending
that term in the name of VTAM. You won't change this anymore, like nobody
else will. "USS" has become the defacto standard name for z/OS UNIX System
Services.

--
Peter Hunkeler
Credit Suisse