IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu> wrote on 02/13/2011
08:48:13 AM:

> I'd really love to understand why on earth people like you are defending
> that term in the name of VTAM. You won't change this anymore, like
nobody
> else will. "USS" has become the defacto standard name for z/OS UNIX
System
> Services.

  I am reminded once again of the pitfalls of attempting
written humor with an international audience.  My entire
post was intended to be humorous, and my suggested acronym
was simply to set up the implied joke in the next paragraph,
with respect to what a similar acronym might be on a widely
used x86 operating system.  However, recognition of the
intended humor does require familiarity with American
slang terminology.

  Instead of an industry standard icon such as :-) to
indicate humor, I used a quote from a fictional character
on a recent episode of a popular situation comedy show on
American television.  That also is likely ill advised
with an international audience.  Suitably chastened,
I will attempt to control my obsession with obscure
referential humor.  For a while, at least.

Jim Mulder   z/OS System Test   IBM Corp.  Poughkeepsie,  NY