Michael,

thanks a lot!

I thought xlc would use the STEPLIB environment variable but xlc is
unaffected by this variable. xlc relies only on the steplib option in
xlc.cfg. That was my mistake.

I copied /usr/lpp/cbclib/xlc/etc/xlc.cfg to my current working directory:

  cp /usr/lpp/cbclib/xlc/etc/xlc.cfg myxlc.cfg

I modified the value of the steplib option in myxlc.cfg from none to
CBC.SCCNCMP.

Thereafter the command

  xlc -F./xlc.cfg -o hw hw.c

worked successfully.