> I am trying to find a certain dsn which was backed up by DFDSS.  In the
job we create
> a GDG (6 generations) list of the VTOC on DASD.  I go into ISPF 3.4, type
in the HLQ
> dsns of the VTOC backup lists (3,435 dsns are selected) My problem is when
I issue
> the command SRCHFOR "SYS2.CDB2.SDTWHFX" the SuperC Search-for is invoked
but
> the command returns back the message "String(s) not found" after several
minutes.
>   My question is can the SRCHFOR command work when in ISPF 3.4?  If so
could
> somebody advise me as to how I can go about it.  The SRCHFOR command works
> when I am in a PDS/PDSE but not when I am in ISPF 3.4.
>
> I ran a test by browsing one of the VTOC list backups and it appears in
this particular
> backup list.

What version of z/OS are you running?  Have you looked at ISPF Help for
SRCHFOR or the IBM manuals? Perhaps removing the quotes (double quotes) may
help?  I think the suggestion of the Find command is easier than SRCHFOR.
Or just using the partial dataset name to reduce the size of the list is
also good.

What I found when GOOGLING has from ISPF Users Guide II for z/OS V1.9:

Use the SRCHFOR primary command to search the data sets in the data set list
for one or more strings of data using the SuperC Utility (see Option 3.14).
You may limit the search to excluded or non-excluded data sets, and control
whether migrated data sets are recalled and searched or not. Use this
format:

SRCHFOR string

The string parameter is optional. If specified it is used to prefill the
first search string on the subsequent DSLIST Srchfor Options panel.

WORD, SUFFIX, and PREFIX are available operands for search string
specification. Note that the search strings are case sensitive and must
match exactly as specified. Consider the 'Any case' process option if you
want to disregard case.

You can use the C (continuation) operand to specify that both the current
and previous string must be found on the same line to constitute a match.
Otherwise, lines with either string are treated as matching.
Example Search strings:         Explanation:

===> ABC
===> EFG

        Either string ABC or EFG may be found in the search data set.

===> ABC WORD
===> EFG C

        The two strings (ABC and EFG) must be found on the same line. ABC
must be a complete word, while EFG (a continuation definition) can be part
of any word.

===> ABcD prefix

        The string (ABcD) is detected if the case of each letter matches and
it is a prefix of a word.

===> X'7b00'

        The hex string is specified as the search string. The listing must
be browsed with 'HEX ON'.

        The string

Lizette