George

I know I have a response outstanding regarding your "keep-alive" problem, but
I just spotted this. I seem to be the only list contributor dealing with VTAM
matters so I don't expect I'm taking the pleasure away from anyone else by
trying to deal with it immediately - although I'd be delighted to know that I
was - and all are invited to try to work out what I may be meaning with that!

-

Actually the first point that comes to mind is why are you asking this question
because anyone who has been through usual VTAM subarea networking
education and worked with it should know all about the famous 087D sense
code, its various modifiers ands and IST663I messages and what they imply.

This reeks to me of a "let go" where the "suits" have decided that their VTAM
systems programmer was "superfluous to requirements" and has been allowed
to spend all his time on the golf course or supporting the football team at
away matches - or equivalent pursuits for a lady.

-

Now looking at the names of the LUs in this failed session setup, I see that
the origin LU (OLU) is

FLANWR41.CICSPRDT

which looks like a CICS system and the destination LU (DLU) is one of your
TN3270 APPL statements (for external users),

FLANWR41.TELNE21E

This implies that CICS is trying to initiate a session with the TN3270 APPL
statement which is *not* usual. Usually, it is the TN3270 APPL statement
which is trying to initiate a session with CICS.

Note the message

IST264I  REQUIRED ADJSSCP TABLE          UNDEFINED

which, in conjunction with the IST663I message with sense code 087D0002, is
saying that, the SSCP (VTAM) has a session setup request from an OLU
destined for a DLU which can't be satisfied in the "home" domain - because
the required DLU is not defined - or is inactive. Thus it needs to send the
session setup request to other, "away", SSCPs (also known in this context as
CDRMs) (VTAMs) and, to do this, it sends the request sequentially following
the order defined by the "adjacent SSCP" table defined for the DLU, which, if
it doesn't already exist, can be a default list for the "home" network, as
defined by the "network identifier" (NETID) - assuming we don't have an SNI
configuration, which in this case we don't since the NETIDs are the same.

However, you don't have a suitable "home" network adjacent SSCP table
available maybe because you haven't actually got any other, "away", systems
running VTAM connected with subarea links to your "home" system which can
be used to build a dynamic adjacent SSCP list under control of the DYNASSCP
start option specified as DYNASSCP=YES, the default.

All of which is consistent with the messages you see - assuming two things:

1. TELNE21E is not active
2. You have specified, perhaps by default, the DUPDEFS start option as
DUPDEFS=APPL or DUPDEFS=ALL, the default.

I had a look at the explanation of the DUPDEFS start option and there is a bit
of a confusing comment under DUPDEFS=APPL. I think this means that what I
have described is likely to be valid only because you have defined your
TN3270 APPL statements as a *model* APPL statement - which, because of
your other thread, still ongoing, I know is as follows:

TN3270A  VBUILD TYPE=APPL
TN3270G  GROUP EAS=1
TELNI??? APPL
TELNE??? APPL

Well, as it should be now after my previous comments!

I think this means that the DUPDEFS start option is then irrelevant since the
LU name corresponding to the APPL statement is "known" only when it is
active - which leaves only 1 from above.

Perhaps you can explain what is causing this session setup attempt, which, as
I said, looks odd and we can take it from there.

Chris Mason