Thanks. That is good information.

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of
zSeries Systems Programmer
Sent: Friday, February 18, 2011 3:50 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: RACF Resource Classes

TAPEVOL class will have to be researched within your shop to make sure
you don't break something by mistake.  If you wish to implement, you
can put in in warning mode and then see what is accessing.

TEMPDSN is real straight forward and prevents jobs/users from
accessing someone elses TEMP datasets especially if there is and
ABEND.  The one thing to be aware of if you put this in is make sure
you don't have any in flight data sets.  If a job is running when you
turn on this resource, it could cause the job to fail with a RACF
error because it will no longer have access to its temp data that it
created with the resource off.

On Friday, February 18, 2011, Skip Robinson <jo.skip.robin...@sce.com> wrote:
> Whether or not to activate the TAPEVOL class is a business practice
> decision, not a technical one. We have never done so and most likely never
> will because of changes that would be imposed on the client community for
> dubious benefit.  Extensive use of generic profiles and our tape
> management software provide extra layers of protection that render TAPEVOL
> less important.
>
> We also run without TEMPDSN, but I can't say why.
>

> .
> .
> JO.Skip Robinson
> SCE Infrastructure Technology Services
> Electric Dragon Team Paddler
> SHARE MVS Program Co-Manager
> 626-302-7535 Office
> 323-715-0595 Mobile
> jo.skip.robin...@sce.com
>

> From:   "Givens, Dennis W." <dennis.giv...@cnasurety.com>
> To:     IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
> Date:   02/18/2011 12:25 PM
> Subject:        RACF Resource Classes
> Sent by:        IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu>
>

> I am working on the resolution of exceptions produced by the recently
> activated Health Checker feature on a Z/OS 1.10 system.
> Specifically the following 2 checks:
>
>       CHECK(IBMRACF,RACF_TAPEVOL_ACTIVE)
>       Check Severity: Medium
> IRRH229E The class TAPEVOL is not active.
>         Explanation:  The class is not active. IBM recommends that the
> security administrator at your
> installation activate this class and define in it the profiles to properly
> protect your system.
>
>       CHECK(IBMRACF,RACF_TEMPDSN_ACTIVE)
> Check Severity: Medium
> IRRH229E The class TEMPDSN is not active.
> Explanation:  The class is not active. IBM recommends that the security
> administrator at your
> installation activate this class and define in it the profiles to properly
> protect your system.
>
> I am contemplating activating both of these resource classes but have no
> immediate plans for using them in any profiles.
> My concern is that the activation of these classes will in itself cause me
> problems. Any experiences or insight would be much appreciated.
>
> Signed A Novice RACF Administrator

The information contained in this e-mail may contain confidential and/or
privileged information and is intended for the sole use of the intended
recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that
any unauthorized use, disclosure, distribution or copying of this communication
is strictly prohibited. If you received this e-mail in error, please reply to
sender and destroy or delete the message and any attachments. Thank you.