On Tue, 22 Feb 2011 08:10:55 -0600, McKown, John wrote:

>Suppose the DSN is SYS3.SOMEPROD.V1R1M0.LINKLIB. Make an
>alias called SYS3.SOMEPROD.PROD.LINKLIB which "points" to the
>SYS3.SOMEPROD.V1R1M0.LINKLIB....
>
>Now, the SYMBOLICRELATE alias occurred to me. That's where
>an ALIAS, such as SYS3.SOMEPROD.PROD.LINKLIB can include
>the &SYSNAME in the actual dataset name.

You can use any symbol in the name.

>DEF ALIAS(NAME(SYS3.SOMEPROD.PROD.LINKLIB)
>  SYMBOLICRELATE(SYS3.SOMEPROD.SYS&SYSNAME..LINKLIB))

You want:

DEF ALIAS(NAME(SYS3.SOMEPROD.PROD.LINKLIB)
  SYMBOLICRELATE(SYS3.SOMEPROD.&SOMEPRD..LINKLIB))

Note that the alias is eight characters, including the ampersand.

> I don't know of a supported way to change the value of
>&SOMEPROD without an IPL. This is on z/OS 1.10.

Dennis mentioned SYMUPDTE.  Search the archives for it.  It is now
called IEASYMUP.  I have used it and it works well for this purpose.

See:
http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/SG247328.html

--
Tom Marchant