/*JOBPARM (and its /* brethren) and JES3's //* cards, are JECL - Job Entry
Control Language.   JESn sees and processes these cards before it passes the
stream to JCL conversion.  So the symbolic you specified does not exist yet,
because you're not in JCL conversion which means, alas, what seems logical
won't work.  (At least in VSE symbolics are a lot easier, although I have my
own gripes about VSE JCS.)

(What are you doing working on the Friday after Thanksgiving?  Better yet, I
should ask myself the same question.)

Later,
Ray