I could change it to say that "The current problem with z/OS pricing is that
most software is charged on the size of the machine OR LPAR, not the amount of
usage of the software." But I still think it's a current problem. There have
been improvements in MVS releases to address this situation, such as the latest
pricing improvement for z196 machines, Integrated Workload Pricing. But the
basic problem still exists. When you add work to a z machine or LPAR, the cost
of most of the other IBM and ISV software will increase.

Referring back to the other discussion of 'Dummy LPARs', yes, you could put the
new software in another LPAR and not increase the software prices of the major
software on the machine. But the z/OS usage is still increased. Many of the
ISVs use sub-capacity pricing based on the MIPS or MSUs of the LPARs running
z/OS. So an added LPAR for a new workload still causes an increase.

In 2009, I quoted Al Sherkow in my newsletter when he said "about half of IBM's
customers use sub-capacity pricing." I assume (and hope) that a greater
percentage are now using sub-capacity pricing, but it's been a long haul. When
I ask people why they don't use it, I get a variety of answers, but it's
usually something in the form of "well we have this special full-site license
that covers everything." That might work fine for IBM products, but it doesn't
work for all products. Every installation should be pushing their ISVs to do
sub-capacity pricing.

When I talk about 'usage-based' pricing, I'm talking about a product that uses
30 MIPS during its peak, not about one that runs in a 30 MIPS LPAR. Because the
tooling for that type of chargeback is fairly expensive, I can't see it
happening except for new products arriving in the marketplace.

I hope that explains my statements.

Best regards,
Cheryl
======================
Cheryl Watson
Watson & Walker, Inc.
www.watsonwalker.com
941-266-6609
======================

On Mar 12, 2011, at 1:58 AM, Timothy Sipples wrote:

I didn't understand this comment:

> The current problem with z/OS pricing is that most
> software is charged on the size of the machine, not
> the amount of usage of the software.

The newsletter mentions VWLC later, but I disagree with this sentence with
respect to IBM software. (It's not a "current problem.") Most customers now
pay for all or at least the vast majority of IBM software based on monthly
peak four hour rolling averages on an LPAR basis and in very granular MSU
increments. The size of the machine is irrelevant except as an overall
limit, not as a floor. Even some sub-LPAR sub-capacity pricing is now
available.

I could change just one word to make that sentence correct, though:

"The current problem with non-mainframe pricing is that most software is
charged on the size of the machine, not the amount of usage of the
software."

IBM and a few other vendors allow you to license their non-mainframe
software on the number of CPUs that it runs (at maximum) rather than the
total number of processors in the machine, with (much coarser) core
granularity, but that practice is hardly universal.

- - - - -
Timothy Sipples
Resident Enterprise Architect
Value Creation & Complex Deals Team