On Thu, 17 Mar 2011 19:31:22 +0800, David Crayford wrote:

>In  a non-zUnix environment stdout is SYSPRINT. So in TSO it writes to
>the terminal and in batch to a SYSPRINT DD. If you
>don't specify a SYSPRINT DD it will dynamically allocate a sysout data
>set. I believe in CICS it writes to the log?

Not really.  It's application dependent and wretchedly inconsistent.
I see:

UNIX         stdout      stderr

Assembler    SYSPRINT    SYSTERM

IEBGENER     SYSUT1      SYSPRINT

Batch TMP         SYSTSPRT

TSO               Terminal

It's a real shame that:

o TSO didn't originally read from/write to DDNAMES rather
  than inventing the idiosyncratic TGET/TPUT

o DDNAME redirection wasn't made a basic capability of
  data management rather than implemented sporadically by
  various applications, often by positional entries in a
  second PARM.

o Rexx, which internally has separate interfaces for data
  output and message output, has no provision for externally
  directing them to different DDNAMEs/descriptors.

-- gil