On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 08:02:27 -0500, Norbert Friemel wrote:

>On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 07:17:33 -0500, Barbara Nitz wrote:
>
>>>safebrowsing.clients.google.com: Firefox uses Google's "Safe Browsing API"
>>>http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/phishing-protection/
>>>Uncheck "Block reported attack sites/web forgeries" in Tools -> Options ->
>>>Security
>>okay, so in order to block firefox gives control to google first?!? In any
>>case, I did not allow any cookies to be set.
>
>Yes. From the URL above: "Phishing and Malware Protection works by checking
>the sites that you visit against lists of reported phishing and malware
>sites. These lists are automatically downloaded and updated every 30 minutes
>or so ..."

Someone has to do it.

>"... In both cases, existing cookies you have from google.com, our list
>provider, may also be sent. ..."

But it sounds as if Barbara uses Firefox only to contact IBM.  She
probably wishes she could whitelist ibm.com and block everything else.

Is there a basic design conflict between use of cookies and redirection
for load balancing?  It seems wrong that the cookies should belong
to, e.g. www-42.ibm.com and not www.ibm.com.

>BTW Another reason to contact google is geolocation:
>http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/geolocation/

Does IBM need to employ geolocation?  For multilingual support?
For contract validation?  Who does geolocation?  Google?
Skyhook/Loki?  Other (specify).  At one point, Firefox requested
confirmation when Google Maps (honoring my click) requested
geolocation.  I haven't seen that lately -- it must have
memorized my response.

-- gil