On Fri, 25 Mar 2011 15:48:49 -0400, Robert A. Rosenberg wrote:

>In FF, if you go to your preferences and select the content menu you
>will find a check box that allows you to set the automatic image load
>default to on or off. When off, images will not load but just show
>place holders. Clicking a placeholder will load THAT image (leaving
>all the others as placeholders). Next to the check box is a button
>called exceptions. Clicking on it will allow you to designate by site
>which sites you want to allow or suppress automatic image
>downloading. Thus you can set auto off and then list those sites
>whose images you want to see. If you want to suppress images
>globally, just set auto off.

It was better circa Netscape.  I could turn off auto image load
in Preferences, and the toolbar had a button to load all images
for the current page.  I didn't need to click on dozens of
placeholders, nor manage exception lists.  Often, it sufficed
to see the images for a site once and rely on clicking links
in subsequent visits.

-- gil