Radoslaw,

I work for IntelliMagic and use our Vision tool to produce the charts.
The information is available in RMF (FCD record 74.7) but you will
probably have to turn on the data creation on your switches first.

Actually, the most important data that you should be looking at here is
the frame pacing count (you want that to be 0) and the Error count.

I don't know the configuration of the data that I am looking at but I
would guess that only a portion of the data is going via the ISL. If I
look at the total receive/transmit rates for all the directors, the ISLs are
definitely doing less.

John

>John
>First, I'd like to thank you for the information, I appreciate it.
>
>I also have some further questions:
>1. How do you measure frame sizez? What tool/monitor you use?
>
>2. Why ISL traffic is more disperse - that means - different?
>Assuming he ISL is not used for any other traffic but FICON, it should
>contain exactly the same frames + very small amount of control
>information. Switch does not rebuild frames. That's theory ;-) Probably
>you said about practice, measured values.
>
>Regards
>--
>Radoslaw Skorupka
>Lodz, Poland
>

>John Ticic pisze:
>> Hello Radoslaw,
>>
>> I'm not sure I can help but here is some information that may be
useful.

>> I typically see different average transmit and receive frame sizes
during
>> the day (on-line) compared to the evening (batch). I've seen down
>> 1000 bytes during on-line and around 1700 bytes during batch for
DASD.