I'll stay out of 2, but 1 and certainly 3 definitely apply to us. Since our
office building is now quite a ways away from the actual hardware, us
sysprogs routinely use the HMC both for IPL and to issue some commands.
Also, we routinely swap lpars from one box to the other, meaning that 'the
consoles' need to have their appropriate 3270 pcomm session (different IP
address AFAIK) started. Until they're up, HMC is the only means of
communication from here.

The test sysplex doesn't have a console anymore. Well, there are some
consoles defined for that, but those sessions are never open. So the only
way to IPL is the HMC. One of them happens to be right here in our office.

Regards, Barbara