I have. Our normal consoles are controlled by an Visara. This is Escon attached
to the z. It presents a 3174 type controller which can be EMIF'ed. It has two
coax attached 3270 emulation PCs and is LAN attached to allow TN3270 access to
both consoles and local 3270 VTAM controlled terminals.

> 2) How many of you have used it to recover OSA attached consoles?

No OSA consoles, but I have used it to recover the Visara consoles.

> 3) How many of you have no locally-attached consoles and use
> the System
> Console to IPL and get you through NIP before transitioning
> to SMCS consoles
> (or some other console support requiring Comm Server to be up)?

This is how I do it on my sandbox system. Also, we have no operators at all any
more. So I even IPL from home using the HMC system console via the HMC's web
interface. I have an IODF with no NIPCONS which I use when I do this. Others in
my group prefer to drive into work and IPL from the actual HMC and using the
Visara NIPCONS.       I don't know why.

> W. Kevin Kelley  -- IBM POK Lab -- z/OS Core Technical Development

I do hope the PHBs aren't considering removing the support. I wish z/OS would
support the HMC's integrated 3270 interface. z/VM does. Are you saying that the
z/VM people are smarter than the z/OS people? <slight dig>

--
John McKown
Systems Engineer IV

Administrative Services Group