SORT provides a rich control card language for record selection and rejection
and other "data processing" operations that I don't have to program.  Having
the capabilities of that language between the E15 and E35 exits allows me to
take advantage of those rich capabilities without having to program them
myself.  As it stands, I have to perform a useless SORT operation in order to
use both exits, and be careful in specifying the SORT key that I don't disturb
the original order of the records in so doing.

BTW, MODS-type E15 and E35 exits for a JCL-invoked SORT do NOT need to do their
own I/O.  SORT passes the records it reads from SORTIN to the E15 exit to
manipulate and the "sorted" or "merged" records to the E35 exit to manipulate.
This lets me take advantage of SORT's superior (i.e., faster) I/O facilities.
Both exits use the "REPLACE" record function to return the manipulated records
to SORT.

In my particular case the exits allow me to decode RECFM=VB records stored on
disk in an application-specific scheme on the way in through the E15 exit,
yielding a fixed-length record easily processed with SORT capabilities, and to
re-code processed records using that application-specific scheme on the way out
in the E35 exit.  No COBOL I/O involved.

Peter

and
may contain information that is privileged and confidential. If the reader of
the
attachments from your system.