st...@trainersfriend.com (Steve Comstock) writes:
> But I am curious as to why the mainframe doesn't just go
> away: there must be one or more z/OS applications that the
> Windows folks just can't beat. Can you describe what applications
> are keeping the mainframe around? And why Windows folks can't
> make it go away?

lots of online/real-time stuff in the 70s & 80s was adding frontend that
started an operation ... but left it to (existing, frequently cobol)
legacy batch operation to complete (/settle) ... moved to "overnight
batch window".

in the 90s, the "overnight batch window" was becoming major bottleneck
... globalization both increasing workload ... as well as pressure to
significantly decrease length of the "overnight batch window".

in this period, some number of institutions spent billions on business
process reengineering that would leverage massive parallelization and
"killer micros" to implement "straight through processing" (running each
operation straight through to completion & eliminating need for
overnight batch window). however, it turned out that they used some
technology that wasn't adequately vetted ... and going into deployment
they found that it had overhead 100 times that of the cobol batch (and
wouldn't scale) ... totally swamping anticipated (parallel) throughput
improvements.

the resulting failures left huge scars on the industry and stalled
reengineering efforts for possibly decades. I was involved in taking a
whole new generation of parallelization to some industry bodies a couple
years ago ... and while it initially met very positive acceptance ... as
it moved up individual institutions ... it met quite a bit of resistance
... apparently even nearly a decade later ... the scars from the
failures were still fresh.