On 6 April 2011 14:57, Sam Siegel <s...@pscsi.net> wrote:

> Please consider the RAS on the US domestic phone switching network.
> It is a distributed system that (to my knowledge) does not use z/OS or
> zSeries hardware.  You also have service providers like Google, the
> global DNS servers, etc.  The list can be easily extended to
> demonstrate extremely good RAS overall on a distributed system where
> high RAS is deemed important.

The criteria are quite different. A public phone system that connects
0.0001 percent of calls to the wrong place and drops a similar number
in mid call is perfectly acceptable. A phone system (even a single
local switch serving 10,000 lines) that is down for one minute a week
is completely unacceptable.

A telephone billing system that computes the wrong price for 0.0001
percent of billed calls is completely unacceptable. But if the billing
system is down one minute per week, no one will even notice.

Google search is a lot more like the phone system than it is like the
phone billing system.

Tony H.