From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, November 30, 2005 12:40 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Using symbolic in JCL

On 11/30/2005 11:24 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> In that case, a multitude of customers would be delighted to see the
> date and time symbolics moved from the class of "system symbols" to
> the same class as &SYSUID, whatever you call the class.  I understand
> (but don't necessarily agree with) the concern over the ambiguity over
system names.
> But the difference between Reader time, Converter time, and
> Interpreter time is different in character, and exists even now, even
> for STCs.  If an STC started just before midnight incorporates the
> date system symbol in a data set name, that name may disagree with the
> timestamp stored with the data set.
>
> Most users don't care about such microscopic precision; IBM should
> relent its intransigence and make at least the date and time symbols
> available in batch JCL, with the stipulation that the values of such
> symbols reflect the reader environment, not any other.

Unfortunately, since different systems in a sysplex (or sharing the spool)
could have very different times and dates, they could get very unexpected
results if we let those symbols be used in batch job JCL.

Suppose the job converted on a system where the date is today, and ran on a
system where the date is several days, or weeks, ago.  (The normal case is
to have them very close, of course.  And the more likely unusual case is to
have them simply a few hours off.  But nothing requires that the dates/times
be anywhere close across systems, that I know of.)

        Walt

_
and
may contain information that is privileged and confidential. If the reader of
the
attachments from your system.