Kees,

> are you testing disaster situations

We are a GDPS site, 3 production parallel sysplexes, 2 - 3 sites, PPRC and
Hyperswap, with unplanned Hyperswap in test parallel sysplexes (two of
them). A smaller part of production volumes is not mirrored (customer's
decision).

Because of GPDS we do test outages quite regularly in our test sysplexes,
simulating an outage mostly through generation of messages. The real storage
subsystem outages are quite rare, because we need the help of the vendor's
technician (field engineer?).

In the production there are regular annual disaster tests for a whole site,
but not with power outage (lot of non-mainframe servers could have problems
establishing normal work).

> or did you really have a complete power outage on a storage device and was
the device configured sufficiently redundant and if so, how could this
happen?

There was a UPS problem, it registered(?) anomaly in the electricity and
itself and cut the electricity on the site (that was my understanding). I
came later in and had to do only with the problems on the mainframe side.
The simplex devices (that is, not mirrored) were not critical for the
production (the applications could go on with the half of the capacity). The
only problem was that applications hanged as result of these allocations.
Luckily, it happened in the night, and as the electricity came, we had the
access to all the volumes again - no problems. Well, as Ed Finnell wrote:
"when the subsystem gets IML'd (takes forever under normal  circumstances)".
Normally, it is a primary GDPS site for one production sysplex, but at the
time that was our secondary site, so we lost only the systems running there.

Actually we had seen this behaviour a few years ago, as we had done a lot of
basic GDPS functionality testing:

I/O intensive job writing to two different volumes on two subsystems, one is
powered off, you get only the IOS002A message, the job is (if I remember
correctly) all the time "in" in SDSF DA, no CPU-time change, then we
activate the second box, job writes on as nothing happened.

At that time we thought it was a nice feature <g>.

Zaromil