The lawyers' doctrine of de minimis---Let's not decide issues that need not be
reached--suggests that questions about the morality of deleting a post from the
UA IBM-MAIN archive are at best moot.

We have no centralized system of Orwellian memory holes, only a congeries of
ineptly implemented local ones: That post remains available elsewhere; google
search will find it; and, as Ollie North learned to his great sorrow, deletes
do not alter backup copies.

Neither the past nor even our record of it has really been altered.  Darren's
gesture placated the OP; he was wise to make it; no action that is a fortiori
ineffectual can be immoral.

John Gilmore Ashland, MA 01721-1817 USA