On Mon, 25 Apr 2011 07:48:38 -0400 Peter Relson <rel...@us.ibm.com> wrote:

:>One point about SVCs vs PC's: unless you go fairly far out of your way, a
:>PC routine will not confer additional key/state authorization to its
:>invoker. An SVC routine easily can do that by manipulating control block
:>fields. This conferrence leads directly to many of (or is itself) the
:>system integrity issue(s) related to a "magic SVC".

A supervisor state basic PC to branch to an address in an arbitrary register -
or to branch back to the address loaded into R14.

:>Ed Jaffe mentioned SVC screening

:>Curious: Does anyone use SVC screening for its documented intended
:>purpose: to define those SVCs that a particular task is allowed to issue
:>(and conversely those that it is not allowed to issue)?

The OperAider package that I wrote 20+ years ago did to allow full TSO
emulation (including TGET/TPUT) without a terminal.

http://www.dissensoftware.com