On 26 April 2011 12:13, Chris Mason <[email protected]> wrote:

> It's a language thing, specifically "false friends"!
>
> Je voudrais contrĂ´ler la date avec REXX.
>
> I would like to *verify* the date with REXX.

Just as a valve controls the flow of water, but a meter measures or
verifies the flow. If the meter controls the flow, you should have it
repaired.

And I believe English is the odd one out among WE languages with this
(usually false) friend. Other than perhaps in the set phrase "passport
control", the English use of control always has an aspect of changing
or affecting that goes beyond mere inspection or verification. Not
only the romance languages, but also German, allow it to mean verify.
I don't know about the other Germanic languages, such as Dutch,
Swedish, etc.

Tony H.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
For IBM-MAIN subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions,
send email to [email protected] with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO
Search the archives at http://bama.ua.edu/archives/ibm-main.html

Reply via email to