At 18:08 -0500 on 04/29/2011, Rick Fochtman wrote about Re: SMPPTS run out of Space (another approach):

I'm sure the SMP/E Team would appreciate ny suggestions you might have.

They have proven to be unwilling to fix a poor/broken design in the past so I doubt they would be willing to fix this one (even if a better design was suggested).

My favorite broken/bad design is the way RESTORE works. If you need/want to RESTORE a SYSMOD, SMPE restores that SYSMOD from the DLIBs BUT runs the APPLY chain until it has restored not only the elements from that SYSMOD you are restoring but also SYSMODs that are SUPPED/PRE'ed until you get to a situation where there are no more APPLIED mods that contain the elements.

If you are trying to remove SYSMOD1 which contains Elements 1, 2, and 3 than all that is needed is to reapply Elements 1, 2, and 3 from whatever SYSMODs they resided in if SYSMOD1 was no APPLIED. Right now you may end up RESTOREing a number of SYSMODs (which then need to be REAPPLY'ed without SYSMOD1 to do the fallback) since the copy of Element 1 you are using for the restore is in a SYSMOD along with Element 4 and the same thing applies to Elements 2 and 3 (and now 4).

IOW: A RESTORE should be preformed as an APPLY of just the replaced elements that are in the SYSMOD being RESTORED without needing to restore ANY OTHER Element.