Are you saying that most z/OS COBOL programmers are aware of what SVC and PC
routines are?

I'm sorry to sound "ignorant", but none of the COBOL or z/OS applications
development training I've received has any reference to these things.  I
assumed they were things that only systems programmers knew about/cared about;
though I am interested to learn about them.

I'm afraid John's explanation went way over my head, though.  The manuals, at
least the information I could find, appeared to assume a large amount of z/OS
system programmer background, which I do not possess.

Frank

--

Frank Swarbrick
Applications Architect - Mainframe Applications Development

On 5/1/2011 at 6:01 AM, in message
<20110501143800.6c3daf58...@smtp.patriot.net>, "Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.)"
<shmuel+ibm-m...@patriot.net> wrote:
> In <4db1cabf.6f0f.008...@efirstbank.com>, on 04/22/2011
>    at 06:35 PM, Frank Swarbrick <frank.swarbr...@efirstbank.com> said:
>
>>Where can an application programmer who can barely spell SVC and PC
>>get an understanding of what these are?
>
> I'll take your word that the majority of your programmers are that
> ignorant, but do you have proof that all of them are, much less that
> all of them will be in the future? These things don't typically come
> to light as part of a routine audit, but only after they've been
> exploited. It's anybody's guess what percentage of the exploits never
> came to light.

The information contained in this electronic communication and any document
attached hereto or transmitted herewith is confidential and intended for the
exclusive use of the individual or entity named above.  If the reader of this
message is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for
delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
examination, use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication
or any part thereof is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this
communication in error, please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail
and destroy this communication.  Thank you.