On 3 May 2011 19:13, Paul Gilmartin <paulgboul...@aim.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 3 May 2011 17:27:57 -0400, Tony Harminc wrote:

>>Sadly, UTF-EBCDIC, although invented by IBM 10+ years ago, has never
>>taken off. And this time one can't even blame the Windows or UNIX
>>mainframe-haters. So many z/OS APIs could have been changed one by one
>>to support UTF-EBCDIC... Too late.
>>
> Sigh of relief.
>
> No.  One can blame UTF-EBCDIC.

I'd prefer a different parse: "no-one can blame UTF-EBCDIC".

> As the OP mused, and a prompt  followup expanded, what's desirable is a
> prevalent format that
> can be served directly by a HTTPD; no filtering or translation.

I think I missed both those posts.

> That's extremely unlikely ever to happen with UTF-EBCDIC.
> (What browsers now support it?)

UTF-EBCDIC is no better and no worse than UTF-8 for things like this.
Browsers should use UTF-16. Why is legacy ASCII baggage fine, but
legacy EBCDIC bad?

> If you're willing to change the data stream specification, go with something
> now prevalent;
> UTF-8 would be my choice.

Well since I missed the requirement to do HTML here, I thought we were
talking about [TN]3270. One could certainly design a UTF-8 3270
datastream, but then one would lose a lot of app compatibility. SInce
it would be a new datastream for the emulators in any case, why not
make it a variation on the existing one rather than a brand new one,
and leave the apps compatible?

Tony H.