On Fri, 6 May 2011 02:52:58 -0500, Chris Mason wrote:

>I have to assume you are referring to the IP component of Communications
>Server. I don't believe there has ever actually been a "TCP/IP for z/OS"
>since "TCP/IP for MVS" was absorbed into Communications Server when it was
>OS/390 Communications Server.

Let me see if I understand:

o Communications server is a separately priced component of z/OS.

o IBM's TCP/IP exists only as part of Communications Server.

o Therefore there is no such thing as a separately priced TCP/IP from IBM..

>But I'm just a pedant, as if that had any virtue when discussing matters to do
>with z/OS!

No, not a pedant; you supplied valuable clarification.

>And to think Mark Zelden is on record as accusing me of not
>knowing/understanding the structure of z/OS.

Mark spoke to the spirit of the question I asked; no offense.

>Incidentally, the list tradition of quoting the post to which you are
>responding
>also has some merit. I was obliged to dig out those posts to which I happened
>to recall you were referring:
>
>1. Paul Gilmartin
>
>> Is TCP/IP for z/OS a separately priced item?
>
> http://alabamamaps.ua.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind1105&L=ibm-main&T=0&F=&S=&P=33947
>
>2. Mark Zelden
>
>>>  Is TCP/IP for z/OS a separately priced item?
>
>> Yes.  Along with a some other base components that have competitive
>alternatives from other vendors. Besides TCP/IP, ...
>
> http://alabamamaps.ua.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind1105&L=ibm-main&T=0&F=&S=&P=34668
>
>I guess you could also have covered the assertion that there are alternatives
>to what should have been described as Communications Server (?)
>
>Chris Mason

>>>Yes.
>>
>>Actually, no.

Now, that's terse enough to be remniscent of Shmuel; and misleading
to boot.  Assuming I understand Chris's explanation, that is
shameful pedantry.

-- gil