On Sun, 15 May 2011 12:34:06 -0400, Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.) wrote:

>In <listserv%201105121129497094.0...@bama.ua.edu>, on 05/12/2011
>   at 11:29 AM, Paul Gilmartin said:
>
>>o It allows function reference before definition,
>
>I consider that an advantage.

Perhaps in a programming language, but not if functions are
first-class objects as in POSIX shell or PostScript (but
structured programming fanatics have reason to dislike such
a facility); certainly not in an interactive shell.  (Well,
I suppose if a shell encountered a reference to an undefined
function it might prompt for the definition.)

>>so a typo in a
>>  function name would cause the interpreter to swallow all input
>>  looking for the definition.
>
>No.

Yes.  But hypothetical and moot because Rexx as constituted on z/OS
ingests the entire script before interpreting any of it.  Unacceptable
behavior for an interactive shell.

-- gil