I think some hate z/OS UNIX simply because it is "something more that I have
to be bothered with." Management seems to want to minimize their
responsibilities. I remember loving new things.  Now we hate them because
they make our jobs more demanding while not increasing our pay. Speaking
generically and not about any specific person.

--
John McKown
Maranatha! <><

On May 6, 2011 10:12 AM, "Edward Jaffe" <edja...@phoenixsoftware.com> wrote:

[Reposted for those who either prefer or hate the USS acronym. You choose
:-) ]

On 5/6/2011 6:28 AM, John McKown wrote:

> I would like the concensus of opinion on something for SDSF. There is an
> function to "print" sysout to a dataset. This is ususally done with the XD
> line command or the PRT ODSN primary command. Well, being the weirdo that I
> am, I would often like the data to go into a UNIX file instead of a
> dataset.

When we first implemented this function in (E)JES, we learned first hand
just how much dislike/distrust there is out there re: USS filesystems.

We had one customer refer to our enhancement as an 'integrity exposure'.
Why? They flat out didn't want their users writing to USS filesystems. In a
conference call, I demonstrated how their users could already easily
create/update USS files using native ISPF functions (e.g., EDIT) but they
were undeterred. In the end we implemented a SAF call for them so they could
disable the function.

I'm not complaining. It's their shop and they can run it however they
please; we're happy to help. But, their reaction was both both a surprise
and an 'eye opener'.

 Now, ISPF option 2 has been enhanced so that if the first character in the
> "Other Partitioned, Sequential or VSAM Data Set, or z/OS UNIX file:" starts
> with a slash (solidus), then the name is taken as a UNIX file name.

FWIW, in our interface you can specify the path and file name (with leading
slash as you've described) or specify a trailing slash to start an
interactive directory traversal beginning at the specified location where
you can choose or create a target file. In either case, you can set path
options and other stuff for new files being created.

--
Edward E Jaffe
Phoenix Software International, Inc