Hi Ron,

What you say is true.  I did read into the post a bit because I used to get a
lot of questions by folks who would look at the catalog entry and assume that
the candidates were already used.

On the other hand, I have seen nearly empty, and empty, multivolume VSAM
datasets.  Turned out that our billing system (at that time), charged for
purges and reorgs (there was a charge to run the job and charges for EXCPs) ,
but not for DASD residency or space.  So, a clever programmer, who really paid
attention to the billing table to the benefit of his customer (I am not being
critical of him in the the least),  would delete records or move them all to a
history file, but never reorg the file.    I t was a fixed length record,
non-SMS controlled KSDS . Gen erally, at the beginning of the quarter, that
VSAM file would have at most a couple of hundred records, yet still span 3
volumes.

SMF records would reveal if Ed's dataset ever had records .  IDCAMS or a
CA-DISK VSAM cluster report -  would reveal if it is very poorly constructed
and contains maybe 95% free space.  People do make some mistakes when defining
datasets.  Many shops still use very little SMS.  We have a mix.  We use it for
some things, not for others.

CA-DISK used to be DMS when Sterling Software had it.

Regards,

Linda