On Mon, 9 May 2011 09:59:09 +0100, Jim McAlpine
<jim.mcalp...@gmail.com> wrote:

>No one has mentioned JDBC, is it possible to use that.  We can invoke a Java
>program from COBOL.  Anyone ever done something like that ?

Yes, we run a few batch jobs where COBOL code invokes methods on Java
objects. In these methods there is database access through JDBC (we're using
SQLJ, BTW). Only this is against DB2 and the JDBC driver is running in Type 2
mode and sharing the connection to the database with the COBOL code.

But I see no reason why it should not be possible to run a JDBC driver against
another type of DBMS.

Cheers,

Jantje.