Lizette, Lindy, John and Ed

Shall we all ensure that we are singing from the same hymn-sheet on this one?

>> If you want your user to use CICSAPP1 as the logon to CPRD001 (CICS
System Name), then I think you need to code it in the USS Table pointing to
that Applid.

>> Is that correct?

> Yes; "normally" in the USSCMD table.

Yes, *if* you are talking about the ability for an application to have the LU
name XXX but you want the end user to be able to key YYY as the USS
LOGON command.

>...> If the application is not defined in the USS Table of VTAM then you
cannot access it.

No, if you mean that the *only* way to be able to access application with LU
name XXX is to have an USSCMD entry containing APPLID(XXX).

What Lindy Mayfield does indicates that customised USS commands, while
desirable, are not vital.

Lindy Mayfield appears not to have a customised USS table - the usual
indication is no message 10 since I can't imagine anyone taking the trouble
actually to set up a customised USS table without slipping in a handy message
10 - so she is, as it happens or necessarily, using the default ISTINCDT table.
With the aid of the LOGON command found in this always available table, any
suitable LU capable of being a primary LU in the SNA network of
conglomeration of SNA networks is, given that the systems programmers have
permitted it, available for attempting to initiate a session.

The only benefit of customised LOGON commands is to be user-friendly - but,
of course, it's not quite so friendly when you confuse them by, say, using TSO
as the LOGON command and then specifying, say, APPLID(CICS) - which is
about as bad as my drumming into students what echoplexing with
asynchronous ASCII devices was by having them enter the X.3 command to
turn it off! Soundproofing and solid walls for the students' laboratory a must!

Chris Mason