-----------------SNIP-----------------------
So it's a Catch 22; you'll either complain that the reply is too short
or that it's too long.

--

It is the word word replies (sorry I couldn't resist the first reply). People
write in whole complete sentences for a complete thought to be conveyed.

On the otherhand when you have 1, 2 or more pages then it becomes a government
document that is bloated beyond recognitition. Take as an example (sorry do not
have the number off the top of my head). I believe its called the MVS COBOL
conversion guide (or something close) is close to what I am trying to convey
here. They manage to take a simple statement and turn into a legalize length
document that you truly have to be a lawyer to understand. I had many questions
that were posed to me as a sysprog. It got dizzy about how they so carefully
worded sentences that you really had to have a lawyer read the damn manual.
Programmers hated me as I tried to play lawyer (failed miserably mind you).

Some of the replies on here are a lot like that. We shouldn't need a law degree
to understand them. We are professionals on here and I suspect we all know how
to read at least at the college level, NOT at a legal level however as I
suspect
you know how lawyers can find loop holes in everything.
Fine if you are a lawyer but don't expect the rest of us to understand or even
want to take the time to decipher and analyze a email that does not convey
useful information. Its great if you are billing per hour but we don't get paid
that way. Most of us read IBM-MAIN at work (I guess) and reading long entries
does not enhance our productivity. If there are a few of you that read it other
places then I guess you can afford the effort to do so.

Ed