It doesn't look like you come away with much at all:

Day 1 :
is a very detailed lecture (and demonstrations) of zPDT and a little
z/OS. No student RDzUT or tokens or disks are involved. If students
have a laptop with (1) wireless connection and (2) a 3270 emulator,
they may connect to my zPDT system and log onto TSO. There is usually
much discussion about capacity and performance. Students should have a
little Linux background and some z/OS skills in order to understand
the lecture.

Day 2 :
has the students (or student teams) installing Linux, zPDT, and z/OS.
It does not involve RDzUT. We can do some basic networking to allow
the various student z/OS systems to communicate with each other.

So on day 1 you basically connect to the lecturer's zPDT and no RDzUT
tokens or disks are involved (is this a dongle or similar device?).

Day 2 is an install of zPDT and z/OS perhaps this is on the lecturers machine?

Been trying for a few years now to get IBM to come up with a Flex
replacement and the zPDT still seems overpriced for small developers
or students.

On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 6:27 AM, Steve Comstock
<st...@trainersfriend.com> wrote:
> On 5/16/2011 2:11 PM, Paul Gilmartin wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 17 May 2011 06:04:43 +1000, Wayne Bickerdike wrote:
>>
>>> They are charging $2200 for a two day workshop!
>>>
>> That's a fraction of what z/OS costs otherwise.
>>
>> Do participants get to keep it?

>> -- gil
>

> Excellent question, and the write up is ambiguous.
>
> Note it says "It produces a System z environment on
> an Intel-compatible computer, capable of running
> z/OS, z/VM, z/VSE or Linux for System z." So maybe
> you walk away with the environment but no OS.
>
> Partnerworld members can get the OS, though.
>

> --
>
> Kind regards,
>
> -Steve Comstock
> The Trainer's Friend, Inc.
>
> 303-393-8716
> http://www.trainersfriend.com
>
> * To get a good Return on your Investment, first make an investment!
>  + Training your people is an excellent investment
>
> * Try our new tool for calculating your Return On Investment
>    for training dollars at
>  http://www.trainersfriend.com/ROI/roi.html

Wayne V. Bickerdike