poodles...@sbcglobal.net (Dan Skomsky, PSTI) writes:
> It is obvious IBM has a different direction they are pursuing.  I have
> been re-hosting CICS applications onto Windows platforms for over ten
> years.  From what I have seen, all the smaller accounts have been
> converted with only the "Big Boys" left.  But even they are wavering
> today.  It is only a matter of time...

i remember Amdahl giving a talk at MIT in the early 70s ... and somebody
asked him what justification did he use to get investment in his new
clone processor company. His reply was that IBM customers had already
invested enormous amount on 360/370 software and even if IBM were to
completely walk away from 370 (might be considered a veiled reference to
Future System effort which was completely different from 370 and in fact
was killing off potentially competitive internal 370 projects in
progress), that software base was sufficient to keep him in business
through the end of the century. misc. past posts mentioning future
system
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/submain.html#futuresys

The Future System period is credited with giving the clone processors a
foothold in the market ... having killed off internal 370 competitive
efforts, when Future System failed, there was a mad rush to get stuff
back into the 370 product pipelines. I had continued to do 370 stuff
during the period ... and the mad rush likely contributed to decision to
release various of things I had been doing.

In the 23jun69 unbundling announcement, there was start to charge for
application software ... but they managed to make the case that kernel
software should still be free. However, in the aftermath of Future
System failure and clone processors in the market place, there was a
decision to transition to (also) charge for kernel software.  One of my
things that was being released was my (dynamic adaptive) resource
manager ... and it was selected to be initial guinea pig for kernel
software charging ... and I got to spend a lot of time with legal and
business people regarding kernel software charging policies. misc.  past
posts mentioning unbundling
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/submain.html#unbundle

A decade later, a senior disk engineer got a talk scheduled at the
annual, world-wide, internal communication group talk and opened it with
statement that the communication group was going to be responsible for
the demise of the disk division. The issue was that the communication
group had a stranglehold on the datacenters and large amount of
mainframe data was starting to flee to more distributed computing
friendly platforms.

Many of the "big boys" spent billions on "re-engineering" projects
(moving off mainframes) in the 90s that failed. many of them were using
technology that looked marvelous in demos but failed miserably to
scaleup (and may have worked for smaller operations). at least a couple
years ago those failures (in the 90s) were still damping the appetite to
try it again soon (somewhat analogous to the dark shadow that the FS
failure cast over IBM for decades).